Why use a tow bar to carry bikes?
- A tow bar provides a strong and secure place to carry your bikes, up to 5 bikes on certain vehicles.
- The cycle carrier is at the ideal height to make loading and unloading simple and easy.
- The bikes are held clear of the vehicle preventing damage to either your car or the bikes.
- Roof mounted bike carriers are difficult to use and significantly increase fuel consumption.
- The total cost of a tow bar and bike rack is similar to buying a roof mounted system.
- The latest tow bars can be detached or retracted, are simple to use and are virtually invisible when detached.
Learn more about the many Benefits of using a tow bar to carry your bikes.
Fitting a tow bar
Fitting a tow bar couldn't be easier. MaxxRaxx are not tow bar fitters but we work with a nationwide network of approved fitters who we are happy to recommend. Many of these tow bar fitters are mobile and will come to you at a time to suit you. The fitter will also be able to demonstrate how to connect your MaxxRaxx bike carrier and answer any queries you may have. Please contact MaxxRaxx with your post code and type of vehicle for details of your nearest approved fitter. Alternatively you can of course, if you wish, arrange your own tow bar fitting.
Tow bar Types
2 Bolt Flange Ball Tow Bar
Most commonly seen in the UK this type of tow bar can be easily used in conjunction with bike racks and other bolt on accessories and still leave the tow ball free for towing.
Fixed Swan Neck Tow Bar
Common in Continental Europe but now being fitted more often in the UK and supplied as factory fitted equipment. Our EasyFixx racks which are attached to the ball of the tow bar, will enable you to carry your bikes on this type of tow bar. MaxxRaxx also has a unique adapter that enables you to tow and carry bikes at the same time.
Detachable Swan Neck Tow bar
This system is becoming more popular in the UK. It hardly alters the look of the rear of the vehicle. Some detachable tow bars are as good as invisible when not in use. Our EasyFixx racks which are attached to the ball of the tow bar, will enable you to carry your bikes on this type of tow bar. Our unique Swan Neck tow and carry adapter will also work with most of these tow bars.
Retractable Swan Neck Tow Bar
Some vehicles come with a factory fitted Retractable Swan Neck tow bar. It is not possible to fit a tow and carry bike rack to these but our EasyFixx racks which are attached to the ball of the tow bar, will enable you to carry your bikes on a Retractable Swan Neck tow bar.
You should not exceed the recommended nose weight rating of your vehicle. This could limit the number of bikes you are able to carry on your particular vehicle, especially if you will be towing at the same time.